There no other time of year where I think twice about being single apart from Christmas. Having concentrated on my work for the past couple of years, my relationship status has taken a bit of a back seat and men have been the last thing on my mind. And I'm actually rather happy with that. I'm fiercely independent, am happy to travel alone, live by myself and am usually so busy on an evening and weekend that I don't have that much time to take these burning loins to the cattle market.
I'm happy that is until the festive season hits. I used to think this time of year was rubbish when I first became a single bean. I'd say 98 per cent of my friendship group are in couples, so when it comes to planning stuff it's couple central, then me, the gooseberry. But then last night in bed I got to thinking about the pros and cons about being a solo festive fancy and the pros definitely outweighed the cons. So I thought I'd put together ten solid reasons why you should rejoice if you find yourself in the singles category this Christmas.
- You'll save a hell of a lot of money with no man to buy presents for. And you know what you can do with all that money you save? Spend it on yourself of course. Zara sale anyone?
- Even though you won't have anyone other than grandma and her questionable moustache to kiss on Christmas morning, you'll have the chance to kiss more than one questionable man under the mistletoe on Christmas Eve - and New Year's Eve for that matter. It's deemed suitable to kiss many a man over the festive period. It's what Jesus would have wanted I'm sure.
- You can eat as many Celebrations/mince pies/selection boxes as you so wish without worrying about what your BF will think about your food baby. Be as greedy as you want because aint no one seeing you naked bar yourself - quickly, in the a dimly lit mirror, before you slip on a onesie.
- Boxing Day can be spent slobbing out in front of the TV, wearing your PJ's and watching Sex and the City. Or even sale shopping with all the money you've saved not having to buy any crap football/car/action computer games.
- You won't have double to amount of social engagements to go to. Plus, if you want to lie and get out of something like your great aunt's annual eggnog get-together, you won't have to worry about dumbo giving the game away.
- You don't have to worry about your dad saying something completely inappropriate to your better half over the dinner table.
- What's better than cuddling in bed? Erm, having the whole bed to yourself and star fishing all night long. That's what.
- You never know what could happen at the Christmas party. After copious amounts of wine, that random guy from IT could start to look almost attractive, in a Big Bang Theory kind of way. So what if you drunkenly snog him and then have to avoid getting your computer fixed until either you or him leaves. That's the whole fun of being single.
- You can cry all you want to Love Actually, Elf, Miracle on 34th Street, Frozen, the John Lewis advert, the Sainsbury's advert, even the DFS advert. Cry away like a baby and don't worry about anyone asking you, "is it that time of the month?"
- And finally, Christmas is a great time to be single because it could be last one before husbands and babies come along, so enjoy every second. You could meet the man of your dreams and be having a very different Christmas in twelve months time so now's the time to slob out, eat to your hearts content, snog as many guys as you can and do whatever the hell you want without having to ask anyone else. That's my plan anyway.